Ms. Adkins is an attorney with Armstrong, Donohue, Ceppos, Vaughan & Rhoades. Her practice focuses on defending hospitals, physicians, nurses, and HMOs in medical malpractice litigation. She also handles a variety of other matters including appeals, professional licensing matters, general liability, and privacy matters. Alex has litigated cases in federal court, in all of Maryland’s counties, and in the District of Columbia. She also advises health care institutions, insurers, and risk managers on a variety of legal issues and challenges that arise in the health care industry.
Alex enjoys speaking to groups and guest lecturing for organizations. She regularly speaks and presents on issues involving the intersection of law and medicine.
Prior to entering private practice, Alex served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Marcus Z. Shar of the Circuit Court for Baltimore City, Maryland. During law school, Alex worked as a law clerk at an appellate litigation firm in Towson, Maryland, where she extensively researched legal issues and wrote arguments for appellate briefs filed in the Supreme Court of the United States, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the Maryland Court of Appeals, and the Maryland Court of Special Appeals. Alex also served as a research assistant for Professor Byron L. Warnken and assisted with the completion of his three-volume treatise, Maryland Criminal Procedure.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., 2013
- McDaniel College, B.A., 2009
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Professional Liability
- Civil LItigation
- Trial Practice
- Appellate Practice
Admitted To Practice
- District of Columbia
- Maryland Court of Appeals (2013)
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland (2015)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (2017)
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals (2018)
Panels and Presentations
- Panelist, How to Not Get Reversed, Judicial College of Maryland, 2021.
- Presenter, Legal Issues: The New Normal – The Physician-Patient Relationship in the Age of Covid. Medical Mutual Liability Insurance Society. May 12, 2021; April 20, 2021.
- Presenter/Panelist, Jury Selection and Management, Judicial College of Maryland, New Trial Judge Orientation: Residential Program, 2019.
- Presenter, Legal Issues.Medical Mutual Liability Insurance Society. September 6, 2018; August 22, 2018; March 7, 2018.
- Presenter, Legal Issues – Back to Basics: The Evolving Physician-Patient Relationship. Medical Mutual Liability Insurance Society. May 18, 2022; July 20, 2022.